Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Monday, 8 June 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH KEMMIE MICHAELS

AUTHOR KEMMIE MICHAEL'S


Hi Kemmie how are you ?Tell us a little about yourself?

    Doing great, thanks! I've been writing novels since December of 2012, but I've been writing my entire adult life. I have written for newspapers, magazines, public relations articles, and a host of personal projects. I absolutely love to write! In my personal life, I'm a stay-at-home mom of two autistic boys. They have taught me so much, as has being married for eighteen years to a football coach/accountant. Needless to say, my life is never dull :)


Tell us your latest news?

My latest news is CALLEN, the sequel to LEDGER and MASON in the Second Chance Novels. His book is nearly complete and should be released sometime this spring. His sequel, SHELBY, is nearly done, as well, and will be out this summer. I'm so excited to finish out this series and move onto two other projects I already have started.





Are the stories old or new?

All new :)


When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I wrote little books from the time I could write a sentence, but I never considered myself a writer until my junior year in high school. I was writing typical teenage angst poetry almost daily, and then I got more serious when a teacher introduced me to the importance of transitions in writing. Though a simple concept, I bought in completely. He made me look at more than just the subject of my work, but rather how accessible the theme is to the reader. I was hooked.


What inspired you to write your first book?

I got my first kindle for my birthday in 2012 and I began gobbling up romances left and right. I fell in love with Ethan Blackstone from Raine Miller's Blackstone Affair series, and imagined another couple and what their first kiss would look like. I wrote the scene and never stopped.


Do you have a specific writing style?

I would say 'non-linear'. I don't write from beginning to end, but rather I write whatever scene pops into my head, then string them all together in the first draft for editing. Keeping a timeline is difficult that way, but I've figured out how to work around it. For me, writing is more fun when I can just sit and type whatever inspires me without the constraints of writing chronologically.


Who was the easiest character to write for and why and hardest and why?

Easiest character was Abby from a book that hasn't come out yet (Fall this year). I adore her and she simply tumbled out of my head. My hardest has been CALLEN himself. I wrote and scrapped more than 20k words before his story took off. I'm not sure why he gave me such fits, but he's cooperating now :)


How did you come up with the title?

For my Second Chance novels, each carries that theme, and labeling each with the main character seemed an appropriate way to introduce each.


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I suppose in each book I write there is an element of being true to yourself. I've struggled with this often, myself, as I am bipolar and constantly trying to adapt to my situation while maintaining whichever "me" shows up.


How much of the book is realistic?

The plots of my book are possible but not probable, and the physical perfection of most of my characters is completely impossible. No single group of people could hold that standard, and if they did, not all of them would be dynamite in the sack. I read for escape, however, so I like books which take me away completely. I like my fiction to contain plenty of fiction.


Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

None. Sometimes I'll put a friend's quirk in there or I'll name a character after my friend's dog, but the experiences are all made up in my head. My love of socks made a debut in Unlikely Hero, and my neighbor's love of soaking in a big old tub became a part of Breaking Through.


What books have most influenced your life most?

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman got me pleasure-reading again once I graduated from college, and Raine Miller made me want to write enticing, sexy stories.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

There are too many romance author to name. Though not a romance writer, Dean Koontz is BRILLIANT and I would love to emulate his style.


What book are you reading now?

Just the edits of my own, lol. I can't read nearly as much as I want to if I keep my books cranking every few months.


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I love Aleatha Romig, Raine Miller, and so many others. I love finding fellow indies to read.


What are your current projects?

Finishing my current series with CALLEN and SHELBY, then a stand-alone, steamy love story between a musician and an artist.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

Not my latest book, but the second book in my first series (The Atlanta Series), Real Challenge, I would do a major over-haul on. I may still someday.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I think it's simply always been. I wrote books all the time when I was little.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?

CALLEN, but I'm not sharing the next after the series. It's too far away to spoil <3


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Pacing. I try to keep things moving slowly at times and sprint at others. It's tricky but I think the variety keeps the book more interesting.


WHAT was your favorite book growing up as a child?

The first books that got me going was "The Borrowers" series. I loved the little people living in the house like mice and the culture and adventures they had. I loved the fantasy of it. Then junior high brought the Sweet Valley High books. High school killed my love of reading, but The Golden Compass brought me back after college.


Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Dean Koontz, and EVERYTHING. His command of language and metaphor astound me. His characters are varied and true, and his stories can be enlightening or twisted. He's the most versatile author I've read.


Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

I don't have to, but I like to! I've attended a few signings and I have a blast at each. I love interacting with readers and fellow indies.

Who designed the covers?

The Atlanta Series and Second Chance Novels were designed by Robin Ludwig Designs and I ADORE THEM! For cost purposes, I did my novella, "Do It Again" on my own. That book certainly doesn't carry the quality as the others, but I had fun doing it.


What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Days when I can't work on it! :)


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I've learned SO MUCH. My writing has improved, as well as my editing and plot-lines. I've learned some of the complexity of the indie world and the entire scene fascinates me. I've also learned a degree of patience as I try to navigate indie publishing and how to build success.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

Keep writing, no matter what :)


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

THANK YOU for taking a chance on a new author!

No comments:

Post a Comment