Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Thursday, 5 March 2015

S.L SCOTT

AUTHOR  INTERVIEW
WITH
S.L.SCOTT



Hi S.L SCOTT,Tell us a little about yourself?

I’m the author of I believe 14 publications. Wow, that’s even crazy to me. haha I love to cook, but hate cleaning dishes. I’m a sucker for a romcom and dig Indie movies. I find inspiration in music and love seeing live shows. I’m a Virgo and no one would be surprised by that. Ha!

How would you describe your books?

Redeeming Heart of Gold. I love a bad boy with this quality. I love quirky and/or flawed characters. I think my books feel real – the storylines and characters are relatable.

What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already) to explore new ventures?

Contemporary Romance is my main category. I have a New Adult series. I also have a YA in the works for one day. So I dabble.

Can you share with us a quote from one of your favorite characters?

This is from Holiday Hughes in The Resistance: Choose the Dare. Dare to Dream.

Is it hard to come up with new idea's or plot's?

I have too many happening all the time. It’s hard to record them in some way that I can remember all of it when I come back/if I come back to it later. I describe the idea in a lot of detail for my records.

How long does it take you to complete a finished book?

It usually takes me (if I’m only writing one at a time) about 2 -3 months to write a book and double that to go through rewrites, edits, rewrites, proofreading.

Who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?

Hardest to write for is easier to think of: Rochelle Floros from The Redemption- my last release. I felt her pain so heavily in my heart. I wanted her to have real reactions to her tragedy and that meant not being perfect or moving on at everyone else's pace, but her own.

Easiest: I’m stuck on a few. Some stories were easier to capture the characters than in others, but I’m not sure which ones since all of them affect my heart heavily. In retrospect, I’m thinking maybe the Charlies in Naturally, Charlie.

Are your characters based on real people? People you may know on TV or Movie stars?

My characters aren’t based on real people. Most of my lead males I can’t even nail an actor who looks like them in my head. It’s easier for me to do that with side characters, but my main characters are like an amalgamation of many people and traits.

Without giving anything away, what is or are your favorite scenes in your book?

Oooh, great and hard question. I have a small list in my head that if I think of that book, I think of that scene. Here are a few:

A Prior Engagement – when William is slammed to the ground.

Naturally, Charlie – when girl Charlie dresses in a crazy outfit to go see boy Charlie.

The Resistance – when Dalton shows up and surprises Holliday who is hanging out with her neighbor and the garage scene after the convention.

The Redemption – so many magical moments in my head for this one.

Good Vibrations – When they have sex in a car while driving and are pulled over.

The From the Inside Out serial – When Dylan kisses her while they’re fighting and the hand on the window scene.

What's up next for you?

I have a novella called Lost in Translation coming out in an anthology in December. It’s fun and takes place in Paris for the most part.

Do you have any hobbies?

I like to cook. I like tennis. I like doing creative things and watching movies. I like to write a lot.

Is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?

My mom writes a little and it’s really good.

When did you start? What was your first published piece?

My first published novel was Naturally, Charlie in 2012. I’ve had several journalism pieces published before. My first novella was published in 2012 the same month as Naturally, Charlie.

Do you have any favorite books or authors?

I’m such a girlie girl, but I’m weak to Jane Austen. I love Sea of Tranquility- one of my all time faves. I enjoy Sophie Kinsella. Gosh, there are so many great authors in our indie/hybrid community that are crazy talented. I’m a spoiled reader.

Out of all the books and stories you've written which is your favorite?

The one that just flowed for me was The Resistance. Nobody really knew I was writing it and there were no expectations. I was just writing this story for me with characters that I enjoyed spending time with. As for favorite – no way, I can’t choose. lol

Do you have a favorite character?

I love Holliday Hughes in The Resistance and Everleigh Wright in A Prior Engagement so much. First, I love their names. Lol Secondly, they are so different, but both have this strength about them. It just takes one longer to find it in their story.

What is your favourite genre to write?

Contemporary Romance – As a reader, I love a good love story. I feel the same when I’m writing.

What are your favorite movies ?

Begin Again, Sliding Doors, Something’s Gotta Give, Pride & Prejudice (Keira Knightley version), The Notebook. When Harry Met Sally, Gladiator, The Matrix, the Twilight Saga, Hunger Games movies.

How long have you been writing?

Always a boring answer, but true – all my life. I even pursued Journalism in high school and college and wrote for the paper and earned my degree in it.

Who or what has been your biggest literary influence?

For very personal reasons, Stephenie Meyer. In addition to being a part of the Texas Writer’s League and attending great panels every month, I was doing a lot of research on writing years ago online and her blog was so encouraging to writers. Something that I thought would be a mountain, she brought into manageable proportions. She wasn’t saying it was easy – far from it. But she made it feel possible. She has great tips for writers. As does Stephen King.

How difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?

I usually form the beginning, middle arc, and end within a week of spending time with the idea rolling around in my head. BUT some plot points happen a on the way which is awesome and it can change the whole direction, but always leading me back to the end I want.

How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?

For me, they are both. I usually have the main character hero/heroine first and then the others develop from the storyline which is more organic from getting to point A to Point B, etc…

About how long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

About 5 - 6 months if I’m working on only that project.

Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

Yes, I have a handful of unpublished stories. Some just need tweaking and others need complete overhauls. lol

Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?

When I write love scenes, I write a line or two and then I play on social media. It’s so weird, but I’ve been doing that for years. Maybe the emotions are heavy and I need the break. Who knows. lol

Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?

Naturally, Charlie and The Resistance

What is your favorite band or artist?

I love Phoenix and Spoon. Nirvana , The Beatles, The Beach Boys are some of my all time favorites.

What was it like to publish your first book?

It felt like a lifetime had led up to that day. It’s always amazing when dreams come true.

What advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?

Write the story you want to read and finish what you start.

Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?

All. The.Time. It’s nuts. I get most of my ideas while driving. As soon as I get to the place I’m going, I type out the idea on my phone notes app. Before phones and apps, I carried a notebook and pens and pencils in my car. I would sit in parking lots sometimes writing out full chapters and more.

How do you overcome writers block and do you have a special place you like to write?

My philosophy on writer’s block is to write yourself out of it. You don’t have to keep what you wrote, but staying in the practice of writing is good. Or you just made need a few days off, which is always good for the head.

I write on my couch. It’s terrible for the posture but I need to be in the center of the action since I have young kids.

Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?

I love time and space, but if I have to, I can write under pressure.

Who or what was the inspiration behind your books?

Music mostly and my love of romance.




1 comment:

  1. I love your books and thank you for sharing your stories with us!

    ReplyDelete