Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Thursday, 26 March 2015

marissa farrar

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
MARISSA FARRAR
Hi Marisa how are you?tell us a little about yourself?

Hi Louise! First of all, thank you for hosting me! My latest news is about my new book release, Cut Too Deep, which is a romantic thriller. Its release date is the 26th of March, so it’s an exciting time for me.

Are the stories old or new?

This is a very new story. I actually started writing it on Wattpad in December 2014, and finished the novel at the end of January. It’s been through a couple of months of edits and now it’s up for sale!

When and why did you begin writing?

I’ve been writing stories since I was a child, and always knew an author was something I wanted to be. I started writing seriously after I finished my degree (Zoology) when I realized I’d spent more time writing and submitting stories than I had studying.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I’ve always considered myself to be a writer, but I started thinking of myself as an author about five years ago when I was able to pay the bills from my royalties.

What inspired you to write your first book?

My first book, The Dark Road (though this wasn’t my first published book) was inspired by a bus trip I took through Thailand and Cambodia. While I was on the bus, there was this most incredible storm, and we were literally in the middle of nowhere. I was peering out of my window, watching the storm, when I thought I saw something – like a big cat – running alongside the bus. That’s when the idea for The Dark Road was born.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Fast and furious! I write quickly – normally completing a book within a couple of months – and I think my writing style reflects that. My books are fast-paced, with lots of angst and romance!

How did you come up with the title?

The title for Cut Too Deep came to me a long time ago. It reflects both the physical issues the main character, Jenna, has, together with the psychological issues she is also dealing with.

How much of the book is realistic?

I like to think most of the book is realistic! There’s no fantasy involved in this book (though I do normally write paranormal), so the book is set around realistic characters, and a realistic situation. The male protagonist might be a little too hot for his own good though!

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

The main character, Jenna, suffers with serious body confidence issues, which I think a lot of women these days struggle with – I know I do! We all want to meet someone who is going to make us feel sexy and wanted, just the way we are, and Jenna finds that person in Ryker (the male main character).

What books have most influenced your life most?

Anything by Stephen King! I grew up devouring his work and I still love his books now.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Two of my indie author friends, Mel Comley and Belinda Frisch. They’re both always there when I need help (which is often!), and have helped me through numerous different parts of self-publishing.

What book are you reading now?

I am reading The Wronged Sons by John Marr.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I have recently read ‘Anyone’ by Angela Scott, and thought it was an excellent YA post-apocalyptic book with a twist. I’ll be looking out for the sequel!

What are your current projects?

My current project is the next book in my ‘Dhampyre Chronicles’ series, ‘Twisted Magic.’ I’ve just finished the first draft and will be moving on to edits soon.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

No, not at all. If I’d felt additional changes should have been made, I would have changed them during the editing process.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

From reading a lot as a child. My mum is an avid reader, and she got me started on Stephen King novels. I wanted to be able to create my own worlds as well, so I started writing them!

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Here is an excerpt from Cut Too Deep:

“No one should say bad things about you,” he growled, pulling her to a halt. He lowered his forehead to hers, his hands crept around her hips, and he stared into her eyes. “I think you’re incredibly sexy, Jenna.” His hands sneaked beneath her t-shirt and over the mounds of fat she thought of as her saddlebags, and hated. “See these parts?” He squeezed her flesh and she did her best not to pull out of his grip. “Grabbing your soft body when you’re on top of me makes me hornier than I’ve ever been in my life. Maybe some guys like skinny girls, and that’s their business, but it’s not my thing. I love how soft and full your breasts are, and how curvy your hips are, and how your bottom jiggles every time you move. It’s so fucking sexy.”

She wanted so desperately to believe him, to think for once in her life that she was all woman, and sexy and beautiful just as she was, without needing to change herself. But she couldn’t. Even if she could accept her curves, something else would always destroy all hopes of her being beautiful.

“But what about my scars?”

He stared down at her, his blue eyes focused on hers, drilling into her gaze so intensely she felt like he was seeing right into her soul. “What scars? All I see is you, Jenna Armstrong, and you’re fucking perfect just the way you are.”




Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

The hardest thing to write is big fight scenes where there are multiple characters. I struggle to pin point where each person is at all times, and how to convey each person’s actions when there is so much going on at once. I do my best, and hope I pull it off!

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

You probably already got this, but it’s Stephen King! I love to be scared (I’m a horror movie fanatic as well), but I also love the human story he creates as well.

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

Not too much, though I speak at the occasional writer’s conference or festival. I have a couple of things booked for this year. I’m hoping to be able to get out there more now that my children aren’t quite so tiny.

Who designed the covers?

I design most of my covers, though Art by Karri has done the covers for The Dhampyre Chronicles, and RT Designs did the covers for The Serenity Series.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The editing! I love to write, and always struggle when I have to go back over everything again, over and over. I find it tedious, especially because I’d much rather be writing the next book!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Because I wrote this book on Wattpad, I learned that I can produce a first draft which is in fairly good condition. Normally, I write very rough first drafts, which makes the editing process even more painful, but in this case I didn’t.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Finish what you start, and try not to be distracted by shiny new ideas, or facebook! Of course, I could do with following this advice myself!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Just a huge thank you for all your support and continuing to read my books. I wouldn’t be able to do it without you!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great post, Louise! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete