Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Friday, 20 March 2015

Maria Macdonald interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
MARIA MCDONALD
PLEASE WELCOME  THE BRILLIANT UK AUTHOR MARIA MACDONALD

Hello Maria,Tell us a little about yourself?

I live in the UK. I work full time. I have two beautiful daughters and have been with my husband for 17yrs. Life can be super busy sometimes but I have always loved reading. I also have a blog which I co-run.



How would you describe your books?

Contemporary Romance…for now.

What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already) to explore new ventures?

Well my current series will be contemporary romance, but I also have a YA Paranormal book floating around in my head, as well as a couple of others. So we will have to see what happens.

Can you share with us a quote from one of your favorite characters?

This is Pea’s quote - “It’s hard to put into words and I know that everyone deals with things differently in life. This is my story, for better or worse it’s how I reacted. I can’t change it and I’m not sure I would want too. For every destructive thing that has happened in my life, I have two beautiful things. I wouldn’t want to remove the beauty, and what would beauty be with nothing to balance it? Ordinary. We can all have ordinary, I want beautiful. So I’ll take the rough with the smooth.”

Is it hard to come up with new idea's
 or plot's?

That’s quite a hard question to answer as I don’t really think about a new plot or storyline, they kind of just come to me…sometimes it’s frustrating as its often whilst I'm writing something else!

How long does it take you to complete a finished book?

Usually a few months to write 3-4 maybe. Then you have the editing etc after that. I’m nearly halfway through book two in this series and Love Reflection is due out on Friday. I’m putting a very tentative date of June 2015 for book two. However that was when Love Reflection was supposed to be released and yet it ended up being brought forward to March!





Who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?

I find Soph quite easy and that's strange as she is naturally funny, and I have no idea where that comes from in my head? I think all the characters are hard to write in their own way, but I feel like I am telling their story so its like they’re being fed into my brain - I sound like I'm crazy now!

Are your characters based on real people? People you may know on Tv or Movie stars?

No. My characters aren’t based on anyone they are their own individuals living in my head.

Without giving anything away ,what is or are your favorite scenes in your book?

That’s another hard question, there are some that would give away plot lines so I'm going to go with when Soph and Pea went to Brighton, I loved the two of them together, I adored the elderly ladies on the train and ending the evening in a karaoke bar. Yep. Love those girls!

What's up next for you?

Love Resisted is the next book in the series. This will be Soph’s story. It’s on Goodreads already to add to your reading list. All I want to say is that I LOVE Soph!

Do you have any hobbies?

Not really, apart from the obvious, reading, and attending book signings so I can fan girl at other authors. I used to horse ride but haven’t done for many years now.

Is there anyone besides you in your family 
who writes?

My eldest daughter does. Not published obviously, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she is in a few years!

When did you start.What was your first published piece?

I started writing years ago, but Love Reflection will be my first published piece!

Do you have any favorite books or authors?

I have lots, too many to list all of them.

Of all the books and stories you've written which is your favorite?

Love Reflection as its my first published book, however I am really enjoying writing Love Resisted!

Do you have a favorite character?

Soph is my favourite character, because she is
 brave and funny.

What is your favorite genre to write ?

I’ll have to wait to answer that. Once I've written my YA Paranormal I'll let you know.

What are your favorite movies?

Some of my favorites include, Shawshank Redemption and the Twilight Series,

How long have you been writing?

My whole life.

With the intention of publishing? - Six months.

Who or what has been your biggest literary influence?

I think if you look at almost any indie author and indies turned traditionally published you can find amazing people who can influence you everyday. Just looking at them makes you realize that anyone can share their stories.

How Difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?

As I said I don’t really come up with plots, they just sort of come to me. I have woken up in the middle of the night with an idea and had to tap out a message to one of my betas just so I could remember it the next day. I also tag onto the end of these messages - Just ignore me I didn’t want to forget this. She is used to me now!

How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?

Just to add to my crazy train. My characters ‘talk to me’ - yep, one way ticket to looney town please! - It’s like I write their story, almost like they are telling me what has happened and I just get it on paper (so to speak). Sometimes they tell me something and I don’t like it, so I don’t put it in, then they shout at me until they get their way! - Yep, told you I was cray cray!

How long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

I don’t plan my books. I literally write as I go and although I have some ideas formed, the book can and often does take different twists and turns as I write. I do have a file which says ‘Book Outlines’, but most of the stuff that ends up in there actually gets added as I'm writing. It’s not used very much. For Love Reflection I only ever used one page and it just had the characters names, hair and eye colors etc.

Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

No. Not yet, hopefully I won’t ever feel the need to either!

Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?

My work colleague read a sex scene from Love Reflection (while I was still writing it) to the whole office. You’ve never seen so many older men blush at once!

Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?

As this is book one I would have to say Love Reflection.

What is your favorite band or artist?

I have eclectic taste in music so I don’t have a favorite.

What was it like to publish your first book?

So far the experience is amazing, rewarding and fulfilling.

What advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?

Go for it. It doesn’t matter if you’re the next big thing or you crash and burn. Starting a book and finishing it, then going on to publish…you've achieved something. Nobody can ever take that accomplishment away from you.

Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?

Absolutely all the time! My husband bought me a Dictaphone for exactly that reason. Most of my ideas come to me while I'm driving so I can just record them!

How do you overcome writers block and do you have a special place you like to write?

When I get writers block I have to walk away.
 Get some space from the laptop and start fresh another time or day.

Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?

It’s a bit of both. I can write on demand, when the story is flowing I find it hard to stop but sometimes I need a little time to get going.

Who or what was the inspiration behind your books?

My family. My daughters are my biggest inspiration because I want to show them that anything is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment