Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Friday, 6 March 2015

KAMERY SOLOMON

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
KAMERY SOLOMON



Hello Kamery,Tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Kamery and I’m a Jack (Jill?) of all trades! Besides being an author, I’m also a musical theatre performer and a stay at home mom. I really do enjoy long walks on the beach (I’m from the desert, so I’ve gotta soak up the ocean whenever I get the chance!), reading fantastic books, and cuddling by the fire with a mug of hot coco.

How would you describe your books?

They’re generally “feel good” books. Most of them involve a happily ever after—and if it doesn’t that probably means there’s more story in the works.


 What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already ) to explore new ventures?

Most of my books are paranormal/fantasy right now, which I love! I also have a contemporary romance that is very dear to my heart and I plan on writing more of those. I’m also starting work on a time travel/historical/whatever you would call this type of book that I’m really excited about.

Can you share with us a quote from one of your favorite characters in your books?

It’s so hard to choose, I love them all so much! Taking Chances actually has a quote at the very beginning of it that kind of sets up the whole feel I wanted readers to get from the book. It’s not from one of my characters, but I’d like to share it anyway: “Every great dream begins with a Dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars.

To Change The World.” ~Harriet Tubman

Is it hard to come up with new idea's and / or plot's?

I wish, haha! Sometimes it’s the littlest thing that sets a story idea off in my head, like seeing a purple flower. Suddenly, that flower is in a scene of a book and I can see the characters sitting there, talking. I get so many ideas that I keep a little book with me to write them all in. Sometimes they actually make it into a book, sometimes they get saved for later.

What inspired you to write your books?

My mom actually talked me into it. I was always afraid to do it before because I felt like I wasn’t very good and I was scared that people would leave me mean reviews telling me that I couldn’t write and was stupid, haha. But, after much talk and encouragement I finally wrote a novella for an anthology and the rest is history!

Who is the easiest character to write for and Why? Hardest and why?

I think the easiest character I wrote was Mara, from Taking Chances, because she was essentially me. I even picked her name to match the meaning of my own—moonlight. The hardest was probably Hades, because he didn’t really “talk” to me like my other characters did (I’m a nut job and actually talk with the voices in my head, haha!). He wasn’t very happy with his story line when I was working on his first book. However, we’ve come to the understanding that all that stuff had to happen to him so that everything else could happen in later books, haha.

Without giving anything away, what is / are your favourite scenes in your book(s)?

I actually really like the funny scenes in my books. In Zeus, there’s a road trip scene where we find out that the King of the Gods sounds like a dying cat when he sings. Arsenio, from Adrastia, loves to quote movies and cracks and Indiana Jones reference. It’s great fun for me to work stuff like that in to the story. I hope everyone smiles at them as much as I do, haha!

 Do you have any hobbies?

Well, I LOVE to sing. I’ve even made a few YouTube videos, haha. I also like hanging out with my husband, which means I’ve discovered I’m no good at Call of Duty, moderately okay at Assassin’s Creed, and pretty all right at World of Warcraft. I also really enjoy theatre (The Phantom of the Opera is my favorite). Sometimes, I pretend that I’m a good dancer, hahaha!

 Do you have a specific writing style?

I don’t think so. Mostly, I just do whatever I want. However, I do like first person perspective over everything else.

 How did you come up with the title?

For The God Chronicles, it was super easy because each book was about a specific god/theme. Taking Chances was originally called Big Apple Dreams, which I came up with because it took place in NYC and Mara was following her dream. Sometimes the title just pops into my head and it’s perfect. Other times everything I come up with sucks and I ask my family for help, haha.

How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I do like to put a little of my own life in my books. In Zeus, Karly sees her first prostitutes on the Las Vegas Strip, an experience that is directly modeled after my own, haha! I’ve made a character’s favorite cookies my favorites as well. It’s just a small part of me that I add to them.

 What books have most influenced your life most?

I used to read ALL. THE. TIME. When I was younger. Regrettably, as I grew up, got married, and had kids, my reading time fell drastically. I’ve been trying to “catch up” on everything, but I still have my favorite books, though. One of them is Harry Potter, which I discovered in the second grade and still love dearly today. I also recently discovered Outlander by Diana Gabaldon which I LOVE. My husband probably has nightmares about the day I picked that book up off the shelf and asked if I could get it, haha!

 If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Defiantly my mom, Lacey Weatherford. She is always encouraging me to follow my dreams and be the best, happiest me I can be. I would be nowhere without her!

 What book are you reading now?

An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon (More Outlander, haha) and a few research books about pirate.

What are your current projects? If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books?

Right now I’m working on a contemporary suspense called Too Many Secrets and a co-authored fantasy called After The Apple (Lacey Weatherford is the other author). I’m also in the early planning stages for my next God Chronicles novel, Exoria, and the early early early planning stages for a novel that I haven’t told hardly anyone about, but I did release a teaser picture for, which I’ll attach for you to see J I think there are definitely things I would go back and do different if I had to do it all again, but that’s just the life of an author. You’re always wondering if you hit the mark you wanted just right, or you know you got it right and you’d go back and do it again just to feel that awesome feeling, haha!

 Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

My mom is an author, which is a big part of it, but I always liked to play make believe. I think before I even realized I wanted to write, I wanted to bring something to life in that manner.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Of course! This is a little from Too Many Secrets, set to come out the beginning of 2015.



My ears rang slightly, a headache pounding on the left side of my head. Flashes from the nightmares I’d suffered with through the night still danced through my head—visions of knives and dark warehouse rooms with no air, my frightened self screaming cries for help that no one could hear.

The hot water from the shower ran over my body, trying to relax tense muscles and calm the girl inside me that had been silently screaming for the past three weeks. Stretching my arms out, I was relieved to see that the finger print bruises on my arms had almost completely faded away. My face wasn’t so lucky, though. I’d been closely surveying the damage there, covering it with makeup the best I could. Even then, I’d had to lie to everyone and tell them I tripped in the night, almost cracking my skull on the coffee table in the living room. Thankfully, the wound hadn’t needed stitches and now I was only stuck with waiting out the black and blue marks.

A huge sigh escaped my lips as I turned the steaming shower off, opened the curtain and grabbed a towel off the adjacent rack. As I dried off, I sang nursery rhymes under my breath, trying to banish the dark images burned into my eyes.

The rest of the morning went as it usually did with my new routine. I dressed quickly, picking another long sleeve shirt just in case the bruises were still too noticeable. After that, a quick and silent breakfast took place in the kitchen, followed by an extensive makeup and hair routine designed to hide my secrets the best that I could. Finally, it was time to go to school.

Today was the last day of the semester, full of finals, and a huge relief for me. The chilly December air bit at my nose as I left the house, locking it up in an effort to feel safer. It didn’t really help.



Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Sometimes I get really excited and I forget to show the reader what’s going on around the character. It’s a problem and a great thing at the same time, because while it leaves the reader with this wonderful freedom to imagine the world in their own head, I also want them to see the world as I do. It’s hard to find that happy medium.


 Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Every author ever, haha! It’s too hard for me to pick a favorite, because everyone’s books are so unique! Even if the story has the same base, no one is going to write it exactly the same. It’s amazing to me to see all of these people putting themselves out there, working hard, and trying to share their intimate works with the world.

 Who designed the covers?

I actually designed and created all of my own covers, with the exception of Taking Chances and one other book that hasn’t been released yet.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

I can’t know everything that’s going to happen before I start. If I do, I get bored really quick. I start out with the key things, like the ending, but I don’t do chapter to chapter outlines. Writing is like an adventure for me, where I find every piece out slowly, over time. Sometimes this means that I stare at my computer screen trying to figure out what the heck is going on so we can get to the end, haha!

 Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Confidence. Everyone gets to that point where they think what they’re doing is crap, be it writing books, creating a power point, whatever. Writing books has helped me push through those moments in my life and own up to who I am. It’s also helped me get over petty comments made by others. I am who I am. I love my books and that’s good enough for me, even if no one else does.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t give up! I believe—and someday you’ll believe, if you don’t already—that you are AWESOME! You are! You wrote a book! I don’t care if you never ever publish it, if it sits on your computer in the dark for years, or if you print it off and lock it in a box where no one will ever find it. You wrote a book and that is AMAZING! That takes so much work and dedication. You’ve literally put yourself in those pages. Don’t give up on yourself. Believe that you have the power to make and do what you want and then own up to that power. In the words of one of my favorite Christine’s (from Phantom of the Opera) You are enough! You are SO enough! It is unbelievable how enough you are!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart. I would be nowhere without you. You’ve fed my family, taken care of us in times of crisis, and said such wonderful things to me that I feel like I don’t even deserve. Thank you. You will never know what you have done for me just by buying a book.

What is your favorite genre to write?

I don’t know if I have a favorite, haha! I’ve written a lot of paranormal and I do like the world building in that. But, there’s something to be said about writing contemporary, where you don’t have to worry about the world making sense and working together.

What is your favorite genre to read?

I actually really prefer paranormal/fantasy novels the best. There are so many magical things out there that I want to discover!

 How long have you been writing for?

Just over two years now, woohoo!

What is your favorite  movie?

Hmmm… I do like a lot of movies and really hate to pick favorites, haha. I’m always down to watch Harry Potter, though, or The Phantom of the Opera.

 How  difficult is it to come up with one of your amazing plots?

It depends on the story. Sometimes I can’t write my ideas down fast enough, it all comes together so well. Other times I really have to think and work to make it all fit together the way I want.

 How about characters?  Are they easily born and developed?

I usually try to start off with names for them and then I try to piece in their background for them. It’s easier that way for me. The only ones that were really easy, were the Greek gods, haha. They already had their pasts, I just needed to make their futures.

 How long does it take you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

In theory, it probably only takes about two to three months. One month for the idea to come together (sometimes shorter), one month to write it, and one month to edit (which can also be much shorter.)

 What was your first published piece? And how was it to publish your first book?

My first published piece was a novella called Forever, which you can now get for free from any eBook retailer. Having something published was kind of surreal. First, I was terrified that reviews were going to come in saying how horrible it was and that I should never write again, haha. But it was also really cool. No one I really knew besides my mom and Belinda Boring had published a book before. I’d done something awesome, if that makes any sense, haha!

 Have  you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

I don’t ever trash ideas. Sometimes, things that I wanted to use get put in a different book and the original novel doesn’t get done. That’s what happened with the story I was going to write called Once Upon A Time. I ended up using a huge idea for that book in Poseidon, effectively making OUAT null and void. I don’t regret it though. I always save things I cut from other stories too, because they could end up being exactly what a future story needs.

Out of all your brilliant  characters  Which ones were you favorite?

I love Mara, from Taking Chances, because she is me. I’ve always dreamed of moving to New York City and being a Broadway actress and she did that. It was awesome, haha! I also really love Karly, from Zeus. She’s a lot of me as well, and her parents are my grandparents. Sort of. Haha!

 Do you have a special time or place to write?

Nap time is when I try to write, though a lot of the time I end up doing it whenever I can. I have an office to write in, but I work a lot on my living room couch as well.

Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?

Okay, I love getting to talk to readers, but I have terrible anxiety about actually talking to people, haha! I hate talking on the phone and I literally start sweating whenever I see that someone has sent me an email or message on Facebook. And I have no idea why! They’re always good things and I LOVE hearing from and talking to people who have read my books, but it makes me so nervous!

Which one of your awesome  books would you like to see be made in to a movie?

At this moment in time, I think The God Chronicles would make great movies! Of course, Taking Chances should also be a movie. And I should play Mara. LOL!

What was the worse job you ever done?

I actually only had two other jobs before I was an author, can you believe that? I worked at a grocery store and a Subway. They were both pretty good jobs, but I’d say Subway was worse because I’d always come home smelling like yeast. It’s not so bad when you’re in the store and everything smells like that, but it’s a bit of a slap in the face when you get home, haha!

Do you ever get any ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hand on to them?

I do! If I don’t have my idea notebook with me, I write them down in the notepad on my phone.

Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow and how do you over come writers block?

I can write pretty okay under pressure, but I prefer to have more time to think things out and get it written out the right way the first time. When I have writer’s block, I like to listen to my playlist (I make one for each book I write) or I just walk away for a little while. Waiting until the characters are ready to “talk” has always worked better for me in the past.



No comments:

Post a Comment