Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Tuesday, 4 November 2014

jennifer sage interview


AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
JENNIFER SAGE


PLEASE WELCOME THE BRILLAINT AND TALENT AUTHOR BEHIND THE GUARDIAN ARCHIVES, JENNIFER SAGE.

Hi Jennifer: Tell us a little about yourself?

Hi there, thank you so much for requesting the interview! I am an Indie and Traditionally published Author of Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. I am also a published Erotica Poet. I love wine, cooking, traveling and of course writing :)

How would you describe your books?

Suspenseful, romantic, somewhat erotic and always epic worlds in which the paranormal/ fantasy  characters live. I can go from Urban to complete fantasy worlds in my books without blinking and my readers enjoy that immensely.


What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping (if not already) to explore new ventures?

I write Urban Fantasy/ Paranormal. I don’t think I could write anything else other than my poetry. I love making up new worlds and characters that readers can relate to even though they are immortal bad asses, haha. 


Share with us a quote from one of your favorite characters in your books?

Oh God, this is tough. There are so many. I will include some teasers for you. There are lots of quotes from the series that is my main focus right now, The Guardian Archives

Is it hard to come up with new idea's and / or plot's?

No, but with the Guardian Archives it took me longer to figure everything out in book 2, Dante. I started writing a Novella which was book 1.5 and releasing Sept 14th on Amazon and not only did that Novella come close to being a full length novel (ended at 50K words), I also realized the entire storyline then. Keltor, book 1 is being re-released/ re-edited and will be up on Amazon all sparkly and new by Sept 9th.

What inspired you to write your book?


Immortal Dreams series was originally a medieval setting and I worked on that for years before I realized I was writing the wrong story. My daughter was the original inspiration for me to finally finish it and become a published author.

Who is the easiest character to write for and Why? Hardest and why?

The women are usually the easiest for me as they are all very much me. The hardest has been Dante. He’s so complex and I really didn’t understand him fully until about 8 months ago. Now that I do the words are flying.

Without giving anything away, what is / are your favorite scenes in your book (s)?

Haha...the love scenes of course. :)

Do you have any hobbies?

Is drinking wine a hobby? Lol .....

Do you have a specific writing style?

I would imagine everyone does. I write in 3rd person for the most part and don’t do cliff hangers. (Except the one that is coming in Dante. Part 1 of that book is going to be over 125K words and part 2 will be as well. The world is being explained. All origins of the Guardians, the Immortals, everything. That could not be done in one book. I’m so sorry!!!)

How did you come up with the title?

It was painstaking on the Guardian Archives in 2012. I had 5 titles and the same amount of titles for the Guardians before it was published. I wanted to make sure that no one was using that at that time with Angels/ Demons/ Vampires and I finally found it after a lot of research.

How much of the book is realistic? Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

We write from what we know. Do I have sex with Angels? No. Have I been to the White? Only in my dreams. That said, when I do write about real places such as the Keep in Ireland (Keltor) and the many scenes that take place in Italy (Dante) - I do a TON of research to make it realistic. Everything from my character names, to places, to foods, to timelines that go in the past are researched.

What books have most influenced your life most?

That is also a tough one. I started reading/ writing at such a young age that I would have to say all of them.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Karen Moning, JR Ward and George RR Martin are my favorites.

What book are you reading now?

My own unfortunately, lol. I am preparing for the release of “Ratha-The Magic Within” and the re-release of “Keltor” so I have been going through those diligently making sure that the transition to “Dante” is seamless. I’m on the last Chapter of Dante currently which is releasing in the fall 2014

What are your current projects? If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your books?

Unfortunately I have to change a few things as Keltor is edited. Nothing so major that the storyline is completely different but as I wrote Ratha and Dante the real story came through of the Guardians. The Guardian Archives is a thirteen book project currently with .5’s in between each major novel so that will be my project for awhile.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I won a young Author award in the 3rd grade in the state of FL. I’ve always written. It’s as much a part of me as breathing is.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Yes. This is the Prologue to Dante-The Guardian Archives:


Journal Entry ~ 9th of July 2013

Melecai, you dont know me. You dont know the blood thats on my hands or the sins I’ve committed. I will keep those things from you as long as I can because I dont wish to stain your beautiful soul with mine. But you will know soon enough that I am a warrior and was once a mercenary that killed for whomever paid me to. I was very good at that. Killing for money. And though I am now fighting for the right side, for the right reasons, it does not wash away the blood on my hands and my soul. Even now, centuries later, it is not always easy to fight the demons that exist within me, that shame me for the wrongs I’ve done as a Mortal.


I didn’t think I could feel anymore. Not really, really feel. I have felt numb to the world for so long before today. I have seen so much tragedy. So much inhumanity but not at the hands of Demons. At the hands of humans. We fight for you, but you don’t fight for yourselves. You continue to practice violence against one another and when you allow that darkness to consume you it’s so easy for the Demons to take hold. Be the light because I’ll not save you after you have done too great a harm in this world. And I can see your darkest secrets, believe this, just by looking in your eyes.


For any Mortal that may see this someday, I will not save you if you if you have done such wrongs that they cannot be forgiven. Lucio may, but I will not. I will let the Shadows take your soul, and then I will kill you both. It is not inhumane to let the ones that cause suffering to go. I have had to do this too many times to think twice about it. I spent so many years trying to save those that didn’t deserve to be saved and losing the ones that did. I’ve given you warnings of the Demons everywhere. It is in the art I create. Open your eyes and see them for what they are. I have drawn them and put them in galleries and random places all over the world. I have shown you the Demons, and the acts of violence that bring them to you. But you just smile or gasp or applaud. You want to buy them for your private walls but they are not for sale for a reason. More humans must know what is out there, so they will go to the light. I used to be able to shrug off your ignorance, but then it brought such a great sadness that truly you don’t see what I’ve placed before you. I cannot tell you outright, but there is nothing written in our laws that says I can’t paint the story. It caused me too much sorrow to know that you can’t see what is plainly before you. That so easily you are taken, because so many have lost the path of the light. This does not haunt me anymore, but sometimes remembering the good souls that have been lost, the ones I couldn’t save does haunt my dreams. Yes I sleep, and yes I dream. Immortals even eat. We are not the sparkly, shiny vampires of your hollywood. Though vampires do exist, they are of the Shadow, and not at all the beautiful creatures you have made them. Mortals have gotten it all wrong again. No one would want to be a vampire if they knew what they really are. But again, I have shown you in what you consider is just random gothic art. You murmur quietly at how grotesque some of them are and don’t even know you are looking at the world that exists around you. I try to show you, but you don’t see. And it’s not my job to fucking care anymore.  


For more centuries than I can count, I have fought and killed the Demon’s that roam and I have nearly forgotten what I am fighting for. Sometimes I wish I could go to the White, where all is pure, to remind myself what true humanity feels like. In the White there is love in such great abundance and I need to feel that in my ancient soul so that I don’t completely forget my mission. But it’a not allowed, precious damn rules and all, and my humanity was almost lost until today. Fucking and feeding and killing was everything. Immortality is not beautiful. Not on Earth. Your world is not the White, and can’t be perfect. But it could be so much better if you would try harder to not hurt each other. Centuries pass but intentions remain the same. I just couldn’t watch it anymore and feel what it made me feel. So I shut it off. It’s not my purpose to care, I’m here only to destroy the threats of your race until the end of days and find pleasure where I can.


I sit on my rooftop sometimes at night and I could go completely mad remembering all that I have seen and done. In fact I have a few times. Without Lucio I don’t know how I would’ve kept my sanity in tact at least for the most part all of these years. He’s affected by it too, but loves your Mortal, ignorant race too much to give up on you. The streets of Rome are alive with comedy and tragedy as I watch. I am not a comic book superhero and don’t feel the need to stop everything that is wrong in the world. That’s not my job. I can’t stop every child molester, every rapist, every murderer. But if you are these things, I will not stop the Demons from consuming your soul either. My job is to kill Demons, protect the human race as much as I can and hopefully teach you through my art how to save yourself. Of course if I am close enough to an act of violence I will stop it, I’m not some heartless creature even if I’ve turned my give-a-shit button. But the Guardians are few, and we can’t protect all of the you from each other. The world is just too big and the crimes are too many to keep up with. It’s a travesty really, when so much could be different. 


I’m alone usually unless I’m fighting with my brothers and the night can completely consume me if I am not killing something or fucking something or creating something. Perhaps my contribution to the lives that I’ve saved on earth will someday wipe the slate clean for the wrongs I’ve done as a Mortal. Maybe it already has but my own guilt will not release me. You are so limited with your Mortal memories but as an Immortal, I am not. I remember every minuscule and mundane detail of every moment of every day I’ve lived. I have had time to grieve the deaths of my loved ones for more than a thousand years, and watch all my new loved ones die, even three Immortal brothers. I have re-lived every moment where I took a life that I should not have and that is a weight that I must bear forever. Once you have seen the light, the shame of what you did in the dark is maddening.


Andrea Bocelli calms me but there is this new electronic music that gets me in the mood to paint. And heavier, much heavier music gets me ready to kill. Though, let’s be honest, I don’t really need music to get ready to kill. That comes too naturally for me after this great expanse of time. Even as a Mortal, it was as natural as breathing. I didn’t need stimulation to be artistic before either, but a thousand years of repetition can make it a little harder to be inspired. Too much blood on my hands, too many memories and loss. It can eat at the heart of even the greatest of beings. I am not a great being. I know nothing even after a thousand years of what I’m really doing here. I only know death and sex. I am good at those things.


We are Immortal, but we can be killed and the younger Guardians need to learn to be more careful. They are too newly changed to have lost hope, as I have for so long. But they will someday. We all do for a time. Even Lucio went through something similar, but not quite. He is a created Higher Being, in your limited grasp he could be considered a demigod even though that’s not right either. The point is, he was never human. But he is more humane than almost all of the Mortals and Immortals I have ever known combined. If it were not for he and the Pure One’s hope and their love for your race, you would be lost forever to the Shadows that darken your world. They would consume your souls like a plague. I don’t care about your race the way Lucio does. I just kill and take pleasure at Dark Heart. Aptly named since some of the Immortals that roam that club are no better than the Shadows. And that was fine….until today. Which is why I’m writing again after so long. I put my pen down centuries ago and picked up a paintbrush instead. But now I have a story to tell, and it’s not one about the seven hells.


Yesterday altered me in the way all Guardians wait for. I have watched as Guardians younger than me have gone through this and I always wondered if I was being punished; if the Goddess saw fit to make me suffer for the wrongs I had done in my Mortal years. I didn’t recognize it at first for what it was but there was a quickening of my heart which has been all but non existent these last few centuries, and feelings, also non existent, surged through me when I saw you. I felt your delicious soul as it licked mine unknowingly, weaving in and out like a gentle breeze. No, not a breeze, a raging storm full of cracking thunder and lightning that brought the fire to my steel, cold eyes again. That’s what your soul felt like. I felt your apprehension and your own quickening heart. I felt the connection that made you weak enough to faint and made me roar inside with need. I don’t know what you are but you’re not like everyone else. The entire world has opened up and once you let one feeling in, you must feel all things again. I am flooded with your love and beauty and there is not a Guardian that exists that can shut this off when they feel it and know it for what it is. It has taken so long for you to come, but you are worth every second of the thousand plus years of waiting. You will be the one that brings love back into my soul. My purpose for fighting and for coming home.

Because you are not the Darkness. You are the Light.
And because you are Mine.
©Jennifer Sage 2013

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Not particularly. But research often takes up as much time as the writing does, especially in Dante. The challenge is finding time to market on top of writing. It’s so important to interact with your fans and when I’m immersed as I have been in this work there is very little time to do so.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Favorites are mentioned above. They are the best in my genres and I love them. They are fantastic storytellers and able to draw you into their worlds, living them. I strive to be that kind of Author.

Who designed the covers?

Keltor was done by Claudia at Phatpuppy Art. Immortal Dreams, Immortal Bound, Ratha-The Magic Within and Sexual Tendencies was done by Artist Perego.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Stopping. LOL. I have a tendency to write really long books as seen in my Novella. That was only supposed to be a 25K word side book in that world and turned into an epic story of love. Of course it would. What was I thinking?

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

That in each book you grow as an Author if you are concerned with your craft. Each book should reflect the growth of your art. I know mine have.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

WRITE!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

That I love you. I would not have any success at all without your continued support. You are my people and it is for you that I continue.

What is your favourite genre to write?

Above.

What is your favourite genre to read?

The same as I write :)

How long have you been writing for?

Above. ((Always))

What is your favourite  movie?

Gladiator

How difficult is it to come up with one of your amazing plots?

It depends. Plots typically unfold as I write. I feel as if my characters really write the books once I have given them life. I’m just their puppet.

How about characters?  Are they easily born and developed?

Characters develop on their own, as the plot does. I know who they are, but after I start writing they tell ME who they are. And often are much different than me as their creator thought they were. I sit back often after writing and go “Wow. Okay, so that’s how this is going to go?”

How long does it take you to complete a novel from concept to completion?

Six months to a year depending. Dante has taken 2 years but only because I haven’t really been on track with it. In the last 4 months I’ve written over 100K words in that work as well as written the 50K Novella, Ratha. So if the story is there, much less time.

What was your first published piece? And how was it to publish your first book?

Immortal Dreams. And it was fabulous.

Have  you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?

Immortal Dreams, the original version. It was set back in a medieval era and was all wrong. My heroine was too sarcastic. Once I realized the story had to be Urban my four year stint writing the wrong book turned into a six month stint from Chapter 1 to Published.

Out of all your brilliant characters Which ones were you favourite?

Oh God.... I love them all. I am especially a fan right now of Dante and Zaqar. I love Liya too though. And Raith is awesome. So difficult.

Do you have a special time or place to write?

As much as possible but definitely every day. Authors, you MUST write at least 30 minutes every day. It has to become a habit. No excuses.

Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?

I always have a bottle of Silver Oak when I finish a project. My writing nook always has maps and pictures of characters and places that I’m writing. I can’t listen to music with words when I write but I HAVE to listen to music when I write. One of my favorite soundtracks is Gladiator.

Which one of your awesome  books would you like to see be made in to a movie?

The Guardian Archives series... and that may not be far off :)

What was the worse job you’ve ever done?

Anything that didn’t include writing!

Do you ever get any ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hand on to them?

LOL, all the time. But they typically have to do with the work I’m immersed in or poetry that pops in my head. If I’m not near my computer I always have a leather journal with me and my iphone. My “Notes” on my phone are well used.

Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow and how do you over come writers block?

I don’t believe that there is any such thing as writers block. Sometimes you’re just not writing the right story.

THANK AGAIN, THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS FOR THE  LONG INTERVIEW.  IF YOU WOULD RATHER DONE SHORT ONE PIC OUT 15-20 AND SEND THEM BACK.  IT'S TOTALLY FINE 😃

Thank you so much for having me! Happy Reading!!!


5TH November 2014


ALL PHOTO'S ARE EITHER FROM PINTEREST OR PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR, NO COPYRIGHT IS INTENEDED BY THIS BLOG. IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES PLEASE CONTACT US AND THEY WILL BE REMOVED, THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment