Copyright

© 2016 to present by the Author2Author Blog Chat. All rights reserved.

No part of this site may be reproduced, or taken for personal use by any means without the Authors permission.

The workings on this site belong to the Authors and/or the Author 2 Author BC only, unless specified clearly.

Saturday, 29 November 2014

JADE C JAMISON

 
AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH
JADE C JAMISON
PLEASE WELCOME THE BRILLIANT AUTHOR JADE C JAMISON.

Hi Jade,Tell us a little about yourself?


I never know how to answer this question, because too much detail, I think, makes me sound like I love to talk about myself but too little sounds mysterious. Add to it that, aside from having a pen name, I feel like, in my interactions with folks on social media, I’m pretty much an open book. But here goes anyway…
I was born and raised in Colorado and still call it home. I’ve been married to the same guy forever and we have four lovely children. I am overeducated (a bachelor’s degree with two majors, a master’s degree, and a master of fine arts), because I pursued higher ed so that I could teach college…and now I don’t (teach). I have a day job that I hope to one day kiss goodbye thanks to writing. I got a taste of how that could happen with Bullet and I hope to enjoy it again!


How would you describe your books?


I strive for realism more than anything else. If I someday write a book about an alien, I hope people read it and think, “Wow. This is so real.” For me, as a reader, to get lost in a fictional world, it has to feel real to me, and so that is what I shoot for when I write. Are my books real? No. But do they feel real? I sure hope so.


What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already) to explore new ventures?


It’s mostly erotic romance but I do stray from time to time. Old House, for example, is horror. I don’t confine myself to any one genre, but I do tend to write mostly erotic romance.


Share with us a quote from one of your favourite characters?


Oh, that’s tough. How about this one? Mary, Jet’s housekeeper, in Feverish: “We need to decide what job duties your personal assistant must be able to perform…and none of them will involve any of your body parts.”
Is it hard to come up with new idea's or plot's?No. You would think so, but it’s not. What’s hard is keeping up with all the ideas in my head!

How long does it take you to complete a finished book?


Depending upon the length, of course, it takes me between one and two months. Also, some books are easier than others and just flow, if that makes sense. Others are like pulling teeth to get out of my head and onto the page!


Who is the easiest character to write for and why? Hardest and why?


Nicki Sosebee is my easiest character, probably because I’ve written her the longest (nine books and counting). Ethan Richards is likely the hardest, because he’s…well, he’s Ethan. He’s guarded and hard on the outside. It’s hard to get to know the “real” Ethan.


Are your characters based on real people? People you may know on Tv or Movie stars?


No, although sometimes bits and pieces of real people become parts of characters, if that makes any damn sense at all. More than anything, I think a little piece of me is in all my characters, male and female, and maybe that’s why we authors sometimes take bad reviews personally, even when they’re not meant to be. It’s like hurting us…or our babies. :)
Here’s one example of parts of people showing up in my characters. I had taken my then five-year-old child to his classmate’s birthday party. One woman there was…well, she was a snob and she was rude, and she thought she was God’s gift to men. She was a real piece of work. By the end of the party, I was glad to get out of there. But I didn’t forget the details about her—blue and pink eye shadow, perfectly manicured nails, snug cut offs that barely covered her bottom. Those details (the nails and the eye shadow) became part of a character in Worst Mother. Nothing big (not in a Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain” sort of way) but enough to help me as the author recall the feelings I’d experienced. I think little touches like that can add realism and depth to characters that might otherwise be two-dimensional at best.
Without giving anything away ,what is or are your favourite scenes in your book?There are far too many to choose just one or two. I probably like my writing way too much…in a way that’s unhealthy. Guess I’ll have to talk to my therapist about it. :D


What's up next for you?


I’m currently working on Seal All Exits, Tangled Web 3. Readers have been clamoring for that one for far too long, and it’s way overdue. I’m excited to
 share it with them.


Do you have any hobbies?


Reading. MUSIC is a huge hobby for me. I used to have lots of other interests, but between work, kids, and writing, I don’t have much time for anything else. Maybe when I retire!


Is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?


My husband and my sister-in-law. My grandfather was a writer as well.


When did you start.What was your first published piece?


I was published in my early thirties as a poet…under another name, so I’m not going to share that info. Sorry. I published a lot under another name for a long time—short stories, poetry, academic writing, and journalism. As Jade, I began publishing in 2011 and Tangled Web was my first book.


Do you have any favourite books or authors?


Tons! Toni Morrison is my fave, but I also love John Grisham. Other authors whose work I love: Michael Crichton, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King…and I could go on and on. Yes, I mostly read out of genre. In my genre, two of my faves are Kendall Grey and Stacy Gail.


Out of all the books and stories you've written which is your favourite?


That’s like asking me to choose a favorite child. I just can’t do it. I love them all for different reasons.


Do you have a favourite character?


That’s tough too. I have different faves at different times and for different reasons. Nicki Sosebee is probably my favorite character, because she’s been “with me” the longest. I love Clay/Jet too, because he’s just so damn fun to write. Really, though, I could keep going down the list telling you why they are all my faves.


What is your favourite genre to write ?


Fave? I don’t have one, but I do tend to stick with the same genres for the most part. 


What are your favourite movies?


The Crow, Fight Club, Memento, The Matrix (only the first one—I pretend the other two don’t exist), The Hangover.


How long have you been writing?


Since I could hold a pencil in my hand.


Who or what has been your biggest literary influence?


That’s tough. I’d probably have to say writing instructors, both creative writing profs and academic writing teachers. They were the ones who taught me technique and then I taught myself how to bend the rules. They were the ones who gave me continual feedback and knew me as a writer and as a person. They influenced my growth every step of the way.


How Difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?


Thanks for the confidence, but I don’t know that I’d call them brilliant…not when I look to the authors I admire. But enough self-deprecation. Plots. I usually have a snippet of an idea that flushes itself out as a write. It’s usually something simple, such as “What would you do if you woke up, floating down a river, and wondered how the hell you got there and couldn’t even remember your name?” Then I just start writing and let the story reveal itself to me.


How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?


They are with me when I begin the writing process. I let them tell me who they are. Sounds corny, I know, but they really do feel like they’ve been born and like I’m getting to know them.


About how long does it take you to take for you to complete a novel from concept to completion?


Depends on the book. One book took me over five years to get right, where I felt like I was doing the story justice. Another book, though, I took from concept to complete publication in three weeks. Most books, though, on average take from one to two months to write. The problem is what I call my “germinating” process. I get the idea but that doesn’t mean it’s ready to write or that I have time to do it when I want, so it brews and bubbles in my head until I can get it on paper. Like right now. I’m writing Seal All Exits, but I am also itching to start Slash and Burn (Bullet 5) and Savage. So if you consider that time as well (the incubation phase), then some of them take a while. Because I really want to write those other books, I have scenes and ideas constantly flashing in my head that will eventually become parts of those books, but it’s not “set in stone” until I actually get it on paper.


Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't turning out as you planned?


Yep. Lots!


Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?


This is probably no surprise, but I have to have music playing when I write. Also, my best ideas come to me in two places: when I’m driving long distances, listening to music and letting my mind wander, and in the shower when I’m thinking about a book (sometimes one I’m currently working on or sometimes one I plan to write in the future). Both places are equally difficult to have these ideas, because there’s no paper and pen immediately handy! I sometimes have cool ideas as I’m waking up in the morning, but usually when I fully awaken, I realize the idea was actually crap.


Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?


Any of them would be way cool, but my readers have told me many times they’d love to see Bullet on the big screen!


What is your favourite band or artist?


Oh, I can’t do that. I have way too many faves. Way too many. Again, like naming a favorite child. I can tell you some favorites, though…Korn, Godsmack, Seether, Bullet for My Valentine, Asking Alexandria, Lamb of God, Five Finger Death Punch… Is that enough? I have more…


What was it like to publish your first book?


Awesome. I don’t know any other way to describe it. A little nerve wracking too. Oh, and a huge learning process. I was clueless and had no idea about the incredible indie writing network—authors and bloggers and readers—that I’m familiar with now. I did it all on my own with no idea how to do it. But I wouldn’t go back or change a thing.


What advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?


Be persistent. Don’t be lazy. I see a lot of good writers give up because they don’t believe in themselves and WAY too many indie writers do a half ass job just because they can. I offer regular advice on my website and I’ve also started a creative writing video series because I want indie writers to succeed, but I want them to also be the very best they can be.


Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?


Um…yeah, unfortunately a lot. If I’m somewhere inconvenient, like in the shower, I just keep repeating it over and over in my mind until I can write it down. If I’m driving, I turn on the video on my phone camera and speak what’s in my head until I can get home and transcribe it.


How do you overcome writers block and do you have a special place you like to write?


Writer’s block is a bitch, but I just write through it…one word at a time. That’s the best, the only way I know how to really knock it down. No special place to write—wherever my laptop is, that’s my office.


Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?


I used to need the perfect conditions, but not anymore. I just sit down and write. I think of it as training for the Olympics (and I used to tell my students this)—if you force yourself to do it enough and you do it regularly, your brain, your hands, your “writing muscles” will obey you, and when you sit down to write, they’ll be ready. It works.


Who or what was the inspiration behind your books?
It’s a compulsion. Seriously. I’m inspired by the crazy stories in my head and the need to put them on paper, but that’s about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment